Pizza. It is one of America's favorite foods. Everyone has their own personal favorite. My favorite pie is a recipe that has been in the family for years. The key ingredient is one that I believe to be essential to any recipe, and most things in life for that matter. Simplicity.
1 1/2 c water
1/2 tsp active dry yeast
3 tsp sea salt
|4 1/2 c 00 flour
1/3 lb spicy Italian sausage (no casings) or pepperoni stick
1/2 Thinly sliced red onion
- Dissolve salt in cool water. Add 1 cup of the flour to make a slurry.
- Dissolve yeast in the flour slurry
- Put remaining flour in bowl of Kitchen Aid mixer fitted with dough hook. Turn on low speed, and slowly add the flour slurry to the dry flour. Knead in mixer for 10 minutes.
- Cover with damp towel and let rest for 2 hours.
- Divide into 3 equal dough balls. Put into individual Ziploc bags coated with olive oil. Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator next day a few hours before making the pizza.
- Preheat oven with a pizza stone to 475 degrees for at least one hour.
- Lightly brown sausage in cast iron skillet. If making charred pepperoni, lightly char outside in same manner before slicing. Slowly saute red onion in butter until carmelized. Set aside.
- Lightly dust pizza peel with semolina flour. On counter, spread dough to a round crust to desired thickness. Move dough disc to dusted pizza peel.
- Top pizza with your favorite simple red sauce, sprinkle of parmesan-reggiano, mozzarella cheese, sausage, & carmelized onion. Use peel to place on pizza stone. Bake for about 8 - 12 minutes to desired crispness level.
Our favorite is a simple, sweet red sauce. Lightly brown a little garlic in olive oil, then add crushed San Marzano tomatoes (Carmelina brand recommended). Add 1tsp salt and 1 tsp sugar. Simmer uncovered for one hour.
Pair with your favorite Pinot Noir or Red Zinfandel!
More great recipes coming soon to www.selloproducts.com
Sello Wine Preserver. Essence…Simply Preserved. Purchase now at www.selloproducts.com